[Cryptech Core] ipr, ghu forbid

Patrik Wallström pawal at blipp.com
Sun May 18 20:05:18 UTC 2014

Sorry for top-posting. This is a large subject, and I just want to add some to it.

There is one thing to have rights on standards documents, and another thing to have ipr on implemented software/hardware.

I believe the copyright is a non-issue really, since we are using the BSD license. I believe we have decided to use the BSD license for all code, right? Any rights-holder can then keep their copyright on the code, as long as it is under the same license. We use this model in the OpenDNSSEC project, and I believe it is quite common in other BSD licensed projects as well.

However, to protect the name Cryptech as you speak of in the beginning, you can do that by using trademarks. Trademarks has been successfully been enforced by for example Mozilla Firefox. Anybody who patches the source, and package it for you have to change the name, as it is no longer endorsed by Mozilla. I have been involved with other projects that has been using the same model for protecting the name. One example is a bandwidth measuring tool, where we wanted to protect the name so nobody could use it while changing the method of measuring bandwidth which would output other results.

I am not sure what it would take for third parties to ship Cryptech hardware, but I guess most of them would make some changes to the design. This is also what I believe is our plan. So by having a license on the trademark that explicitly says what is required to use it is needed, if we go this way.

Here you can find more on Mozilla Trademark Policy: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/foundation/trademarks/policy/