[Cryptech Core] Proposing that we add Paul Selkirk as a core member and committer

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Mon Jun 2 20:39:34 UTC 2014

Per process discussion on today's concall, I'm proposing:

a) That we add Paul Selkirk to the set of people with git commit
   rights; and

b) That we also add Paul to core at .

Background: Paul is an old friend and long time colleague of mine whom
Randy and I have just brought in to work with us at Dragon Research
labs.  Brief summary of relevant work history:

- Paul was a developer at FTP Software, back in the days when state of
  the art networking on a PC involved an MS-DOS TSR kernel.

- Paul worked with me at Epilogue Technology (well, OK, at Integrated
  Systems just after they bought Epilogue, but they left our
  development group strictly alone for years, so culture and product
  were still Epilogue), where we developed a deeply embedded TCP/IP
  stack which we licensed in source code form to a number of equipment
  vendors.  If you used a network-manged device like a high-end
  Ethernet hub back in the 90s, there's a good chance its management
  module ran our code; our code was also in devices like the early
  network-enabled Palm Pilots.

  Relevant to Cryptech: our stack did not require or assume the
  presence of an operating system.  All we required were a clock tick,
  a driver for the network chip, a memory allocator (the one from the
  back of the K&R C textbook would do), and a boot loader.  Object
  code for the entire stack fit in about 65KB.  When I talk about the
  Cryptech green layer looking like a deeply embedded environment,
  that's the kind of environment I have in mind.

- Paul stayed on at Integrated Systems after I left, and was there
  through their merger with Wind River, so he put in some time on
  network code for pSOS and VxWorks.

- Most recently, he was working with me at ISC, where we ended up
  throwing him at a series of customer-funded development projects
  involving weird IPv6-related protocols on OpenWRT.

So, in summary: Paul is not a crypto or security guy, although he's
been reading up since we talked to him about this project.  He is an
embedded and protocol design guy.  This seems like a pretty good fit
for a lot of the work that needs doing in our green layer.

Why I'm proposing him:

a) As should be clear at this point, I expect Paul to be doing
   significant work at the green layer, so commit rights seem entirely
   appropriate.

b) Slightly weaker case here, but as a big chunk of the work to be
   done at the green layer is essentially protocol design and
   architecture, core@ membership also seems appropriate.

Full disclosure: Paul and I have been friends since University, we
were ushers at each other's weddings, our kids think of each other as
I would not be proposing him, but because of the personal history I
would be recusing myself from portions of this discussion even if we
had not just agreed that the person proposing somebody new probably
ought to recuse him or her self from the discussion.

Happy to answer any questions.

Per today's discussion: please send positive acknowledgement to this
proposal within, let's say, two weeks (preferably sooner), saying
"yes", "no", or "need more time/information/...".  Silence will not be
taken as either consent or dissent, and it looks like we're keeping
the unanimous approval rule, so everybody needs to answer.