[Cryptech Core] meeting 28th and 29th

Rob Austein sra at hactrn.net
Thu Jul 17 16:43:52 UTC 2014

At Thu, 17 Jul 2014 12:03:17 -0400, Paul Selkirk wrote:

> The idea is that sha1_core.v is the important bit, that actually
> implements SHA-1, and everything else is rigging (board-specific and/or
> project-specific). So sha1_core.v wouldn't change, but everything else
> would, in a hopefully more streamlined way.

To put a bit more of a conceptual framework around this: sha1_core.v
is part of the portable core code, while the other stuff is part of
what we used to call the "Board Support Package" (BSP).

The boundary between core code and BSP is likely to be somewhat
flexible over time: features get refactored from one to the other as
we learn more about what we need to do.  BSPs may also end up sharing
code with other BSPs, and typically one would start a new BSP by
forking an existing one.

The point of all this is just that it may be a useful concept to keep
in mind when structuring our repositories and thinking about APIs.