[Cryptech Core] Early deliverable

Fredrik Thulin fredrik at thulin.net
Mon Aug 25 14:58:52 UTC 2014

On Monday, August 25, 2014 10:11:47 AM Randy Bush wrote:
> > I suggested to him that we should make 10 units for you guys to hand
> > out to the really interested ones at the next IETF. Leif liked the
> > idea but said the project should decide, hence this e-mail.
>
> what would be the goal/message?  i.e. how does it relate to what we are
> trying to say about cryptech?  it is a test/demo of one external entropy
> source?

The reasons I see to make these stand-alone boards are

  1) If the entropy sources are the seat belts, we don't want to build the
     whole car before learning if they are any good or not

  2) Some people might prefer a stand-alone entropy source over the whole
     cryptech thingy because

       - price
       - time of availability (now, rather than in 12+ months)
       - simplicity

What I hope to get from a set of 10 units are

  - some seat belt testing
  - SPI interface design help/feedback
  - project awareness / publicity
  - validate hardware design before making 100 more (those would not be hand
    soldered)

I also want us to set a new standard for the quality of the open source
hardware RNG designs that are floating around out there. Benedikts Arrgh
project also achieves this, but two implementations are better than one.

> as i use pis, i'll buy one for the fun of it.  but ...

You said you didn't do shiny toys ;)