[Cryptech Core] rolling host names

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Apr 15 23:44:13 UTC 2014

leif has put up the site for normal humans (and normals of an other
species) at https://wp.cryptech.is/.  it has a cert your issued by a
root that is in browsers.

it probably should be the default landing page, https://cryptech.is/.
presuming we agree to do so, rob has come up with the following plan:

    Add lists, trac, wiki, and git all pointing at the FreeBSD VM
    which is now cryptech.is.

    MX for @ points to lists.

    A and AAAA for @ point to Ubuntu VM; don't care whether we keep wp
    CNAME or not.

    Hack chosen names for each into respective Apache and MTA config so
    they recognize themselves :)

    Add one more name for FreeBSD VM: eng (or something denoting that
    this is where geeks work).  Arguably, wiki, trac, git, and lists
    should all be CNAMEs pointing to eng.

    Point of change: machine has to call itself something when
    originating mail and any of the role-based names is arguably wrong
    when acting in one of the other roles; we could attempt to sort out
    every place where this kind of confusion might occur, but it may be
    more trouble than it's worth, so having a default name that's not
    too stupid for any role gives us an easy out for the cases we miss.

    If discussion on this turns into a mess, I will steal an idea from
    Keith Mitchell and propose that the FreeBSD machine be named
    bikeshed.cryptech.is.

seems sensible to me.  i hope it does not damage too many scripts out
there.  comments before we execute?

randy